Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Missing

     Every other Saturday I work at the Hillsdale Branch of the San Mateo Public Library.
 Each time I've worked there, an older couple comes in who intrigue me. He is silver
haired, slight, with a boyish grin. She is silver haired as well, but exotic, with an accent
and a chic wardrobe. They pick out books and films together, commenting on favorites,
and help each other withcheck out. I always wonder about them, where they met, how
long they have known each other, are they friends or is it more romantic. I can imagine
a younger version of the man carrying her books home from school.

     But last week he came alone! Where was she? Was she on a vacation with her
children, visiting family, at a ladies luncheon? How could he come to the library without
her! As I judge their ages to be somewhere in their late eighties, there were other
possibilities for her absence as well, but I didn't want to go there. Since I've only spoken
to them once, when I placed a hold on a book, I couldn't ask.

    So I'll have to wait two weeks to see if they come back together! I hope so. This is
what comes of observing people - and being slightly bored at the reference desk!

     I'm reminded of a wonderful new book I'd like to recommend entitled, Elizabeth Is
Missing by Emma Healey. It's a mystery, the main character and sleuth suffers from
dementia. Seeing the world through her eyes is so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment