Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Why I Will Always Love Jane Langton's Books

     I heard her speak once, long ago, a wonderful lecture on the history of children's books. As a child I devoured her books, especially loving a book called The Majesty of Grace (whose title, for reasons unclear to me, has been changed to The Boyhood of Grace Jones). And since I am an avid fan of Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Louisa May Alcott and all things transcendental, I also love the stories of the Hall family in their Concord home, with the busts of Thoreau and Emerson in the entry.
The Fledging is one of my absolute favorites. Therefore, as an adult, I am quite happy to discover the Homer Kelly mysteries by Ms. Langton. Dark Nantucket Noon, the first I've read, is so beautifully written and so evocative of the island of Nantucket in its descriptions. It also features lovely illustrations by the author, and I do enjoy illustrated books for grown-ups (see previous post). The Transcendental Mystery is the next I will read, and I envison such a delightful summer, sprawled out on a deck chair in my backyard, fresh squeezed lemonade at the ready, and a Homer Kelly mystery to wile away the warm afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment